While ageing can’t be stopped entirely, it can be slowed down with a healthy lifestyle and anti-ageing skincare products. Maintaining adequate moisture in the skin is key to minimising the impact of time.
The connection between dehydration and ageing
It’s been said before, but we’re telling you again: there is an undeniable link between dehydration and ageing in the skin. Because hydration is key to maintaining the skin’s elasticity and plumpness, lack of water will exaggerate the appearance of any fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
While dehydration is one of the main causes of accelerated ageing, other contributing factors include diet, excessive sun exposure, and stress levels.
Read our blog here on how to tell if you have dehydrated skin.
How the Esse Hyaluronic Serum can slow the rate of ageing
There are two ways to boost the moisture levels in your skin. You can add intensely hydrating ingredients like Hyaluronic acid or you can boost barrier function so that your skin doesn’t lose water in the first place. The Hyaluronic Serum uses both these approaches:
- Low molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid (HA): not all HA is created equal and the quality of HA determines how easily it can penetrate the skin. Getting the HA polymer (a string of repeating units) to the right size is a tricky and expensive process, however, at Esse we feel that the extra cost is well worth it! HA is a key ingredient in many of our products, and is used at particularly high levels in our newly released Hyaluronic Serum.
- Probiotics: What would an Esse product be without probiotics? The HA Serum contains 1 million inactivated Lactobacillus bacteria per millilitre as well as an extract of lysed bacterial cells. These probiotic extracts strengthen barrier function and reduce trans-epidermal water loss as a result.
- Prebiotic mix: Esse’s proprietary prebiotic mix includes inulin, alpha-glucan oligosaccharides, Yacon Root extract and others to favour the growth of beneficial skin microbes. Remember: these microbes are your friends!
- Myrothamnus: our Namibian Resurrection plant extract is multi-functional. At 1% inclusion, it was found to rapidly increase skin hydration by 28%*. It is also a potent anti-oxidant which plays an integral role in combatting external aggressors.
- Rooibos and Olive Leaf extracts are additional sources of antioxidants as well as protectors of collagen and elastin that keep your skin firm and youthful.
For more information on this exciting new addition to the Esse family, head to the product page.